Call today to schedule a free initial consultation

Phone :415.835.6777

Premises Liability Claims: Who Can Be Held Liable for an Accident at a Public or Government Building in California?

Were you injured on public property in Northern California? If so, you have the right to bring a premises liability claim to seek financial compensation for your injuries-but there are some special rules and regulations that apply. Most likely, your case falls under the California Tort Claims Act (CTCA). Here, our San Francisco premises liability lawyer explains three of the most important things you need to know about accidents on public property.

1. Government Agencies Can Be Held Liable for Negligence

The California Tort Claims Act allows plaintiffs to bring a premises liability claim against a government agency or government entity. The law, which indemnifies the government in certain circumstances, requires an injured victim to prove:

  1. The government agency had notice of a dangerous condition on the premises; or
  2. A government employee caused an accident through negligence.

Like premises liability claims against private parties, an accident that occurs on public property requires a comprehensive investigation. The more evidence you have to support your claim of liability, the easier it will be to recover the financial compensation you need and deserve.

2. You Often Have Less Time to Bring a Claim

One of the most important things you need to know about premises liability claims involving the government or government entities is that you have less time to bring a legal claim. In California, you typically only have six (6) months to file a proper notice of claim.Before you can proceed, you must file a notice of the claim. If you fail to notify the government before the deadline runs out, you may lose out on your right to pursue a premises liability claim under the CTCA. Do not wait to act: Call an experienced San Francisco, CA premises liability lawyer as soon as possible after suffering a serious injury.

3. Injured Victims Can Recover for Economic & Non-Economic Losses

As far as compensation is concerned, a plaintiff who makes a claim against the government can seek compensation in much the same manner as they can in a claim against a private defendant. State and local government entities can be held liable for both monetary and non-monetary losses. More specifically, injured victims may be able to recover financial support for:

  • Emergency room care;
  • Medical bills and related expenses;
  • Loss of current and future income;
  • Pain and suffering;
  • Permanent disability or disfigurement; and
  • Wrongful death of a loved one.

Call Our San Francisco Premises Liability Attorneys for Immediate Assistance

At Bracamontes & Vlasak, our California personal injury lawyers have extensive experience handling premises liability claims. If you or your loved one was injured on public property, we are here to help. To request a free, no commitment consultation, please contact us at(415) 835-6777. With an office location in San Francisco, we represent clients throughout the region, including in Daly City, San Mateo, South San Francisco, Palo Alto, Mountain View and San Jose.

Personal Injury Attorney